Custom Orders: Introduction.
Whether it’s for one piece, or a bulk order, I welcome custom orders with arms flung open! I document my custom orders as much as possible in the Paper Exploits blog– have a look here.
Custom Orders: Prices.
Every custom order begins at a starting price. This amount can then go up indefinitely, and this variation depends on a couple of factors:
- Level of difficulty
- Number of embellishments (e.g. eyelets, ribbon, pop-up elements)
- Number and type of die-cut elements
Essentially, you pick a price that works for you, and I run with it! Really simple and fair. :]
Custom Orders: Starting Prices.
- Card: SGD12.00
- Bookmark: SGD8.00
- Banner: SGD25.00 for first 10 letters or less, SGD3.00 for each additional letter.
- Scrapbook Album/Book: SGD36.00
- Others: If you’re curious about another idea you have in mind, let me know and we can discuss further. :]
Remember, these prices refer to minimum starting prices. Discounts are available if multiple items are bought.
Custom Orders: The Process.
1) You e-mail/convo me, letting me know what you have in mind. Be sure to include the following:
- Theme (e.g. bird-related, flower-related, suitable for grandmother, etc.)
- Colour Scheme (e.g. something orange/blue/teal, etc.)
- Other Preferences (e.g. would you like something flat and image-based, or something with pop-up embellishments?, would you like something to feel vintage-y, or extremely decorated, or just something simple and minimalist?, etc.)
- Price to work with.
2) I reply within 48 hours, letting you know if this is indeed possible. Here I will be asking clarification questions to allow me to better conceive how your order will work. I will also provide you more details on pricing, rush order fees (if applicable, see below), and other information depending on your order.
3) Once your order has been confirmed, I will take note all of your preferences/specifications and run with it. Do remember that the ‘countdown’ for days (see “timing” below) starts here. As I will begin working on your order from this point onwards, please be mindful that all your specifications should have been laid out clearly by this point. I don’t mean to be an ogre, but sometimes a customer might ask for quite significant changes while I am nearly done with (or finished!) the card, which results in a mad scramble to create a new piece that is completely different from what was initially agreed upon.
4) I send you photos when the card is complete, together with a listing on Etsy for you to add to your cart and check out successfully. You make your payment, and I ship it off once this payment and purchase on Etsy has been verified. Pretty simple, really. :]
(This process is roughly the same for other custom items as well.)
Custom Orders: Timing.
As custom orders are made from scratch (which includes sourcing for materials and testing prototypes), I usually ask for anywhere from 1 week to a couple of months for custom orders, depending on how large the order is.
Custom Orders: Timing– When the ‘Countdown’ begins.
The counting down of days starts upon the order’s confirmation (i.e. only when one’s theme/colour/price preferences have been confirmed). This allows me time to conceive the custom order, search for suitable materials (I do not always have the specified colours or materials in my arsenal of crafty matter), create prototypes, refine the design if necessary, and create the final piece. Lots of work goes into a custom order and I stand behind each design I make :]
Please also note that the number of days does not include shipping time– it means that the finished product will be ready for shipping by then.
Rush Orders: Introduction.
If you need a custom Card/Bookmark/Letterhead/Sticker/Banner/Album/etc. completed quicker than the normal amount of time, convo/e-mail me first to let me know. As Paper Exploits is a one-lady show making 100% hand-made goods, this may not be always possible. I will be sure to liaise with you quickly and efficiently to see if your Rush Order may be completed in time!
Rush Order Fees: Why?
If your Rush Order is indeed possible, a Rush Order Fee will be levied. As a shopper myself, I am extremely aware that no one likes extra fees. The great thing about buying handmade, though, is that you can be assured that a huge deal of thought, effort, and time go into a single Custom order, say for just one Card– liaising with the customer, sourcing for the necessary material, and creating the actual product. As I would be putting all other orders (and things!) on hold to create your order in time, a rush order fee will be levied to keep this enterprise fair and sustainable for both my customers and myself.
Rush Order Fees: How Rush Order Fees are Calculated.
Rush Order Fees are 50% of the item’s price. Rush order fees apply only to your order, not to your shipping.
Please also note that these Rush Order policies also apply to items in my shop– but generally I have found that customers rarely need such pieces rushed, as this tends to apply more to Custom orders instead.
Rush Orders: A Handy Tip.
If you’ve read this far, you’ve probably learned that the smartest thing to do is to prepare for those birthdays, anniversaries, and important card-giving dates in advance to avoid Rush Order Fees! :] Better yet, try what some of my customers do– figure out how many cards you’d need for the half-year or year ahead (e.g. 6 birthday cards, 2 anniversary cards, 5 thank you cards, 2 banners, etc.), and put down a single order for them all. This way, you not only avoid Rush Order Fees, but you make great savings as well because depending on how many you order, I often give a discount. Clever bears!